WARNING – PHISHING* Alert!
January 9, 2008
We have just been warned of a number of e-mails sent by Internet scammers trying to elicit account login information from credit union members. In these messages, senders attempted to impersonate the Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union, trying to induce recipients to click an online banking link provided in the message and enter their personal data. The most recent fraudulent message, with the title "Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union Urgent Notice" warns of alleged account suspension:
Another message, with subject line "Account Notification. ID:" reads as follows:
"Dear Polish & Slavic FCU Customer,
This is an automated message to inform you that your 4846-14XX-XXXX-XXXX card has been disabled due to some fraudulent attempts.
In order to re-activate your account please go to our webpage at http://www-psfcu.com/ . If you can't click the link, please copy and paste it into your browser.
We are sorry but this is a security measure made by Polish & Slavic FCU to ensure service quality."
A similar fraudulent message has subject line "Your account has been suspended! ID: NNPREFDIWG" and reads:
If you receive any such e-mail, please notify us by calling 1-800-297-2181. Also, we strongly recommend that you never click on any PSFCU links provided in e-mail messages. For the sake of security, open your browser and type in 'www.psfcu.com' manually in the URL window.
We would like to stress that Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union is dedicated to its members by providing them with the highest level of informational and financial security available. PSFCU places a very high value on securing its members’ personal and financial information and invests significant efforts and technology to ensure this.
However, keeping your information secure also requires your active cooperation. Please note the following measures you can take to help PSFCU keep your financial information secure:
1. NEVER share your online banking Username or Password with anyone. Your username and password should be known only to you.
2. NEVER email your online banking Username or Password to anyone.
3. NEVER reply to emails or “click” on their links if they ask you to “Confirm” your personal information, such as social security #, date of birth, account number, username, password, etc…
By following these simple steps listed above, you are taking the necessary measures to help PSFCU in safeguarding your information and funds.
Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union will NEVER send you an email asking for your personal information. If you are unsure about the authenticity or origin of an email that mentions Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union or PSFCU – please call us immediately at 1-800-297-2181. Thank you for your cooperation.
* Phishing – is an email scam. Individuals try to obtain personal information such as account numbers, social security numbers and passwords through fraudulent emails. These individuals try to make the email look as if it is coming from your financial institution or other legitimate source. These individuals then use the information you provided to commit fraudulent activities, including identity theft.
"Dear Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union Client,
As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in Polish & Slavic FCU system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account. We requested information from you for the following reason:
- A recent reviewof your account determined that we require some additional information from you in order to provide you with secure service. Case ID Online Expired on 12-19-2007. If you want to continue using our service you have to Renew your online. If not, your online will be deactivated and deleted.
To continue please click here and follow the steps.
Please notice that your card issued by Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union 4846-14XX-XXXX-XXXX will be disabled until you verify your online service due to security of your payments."
Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union Bank has temporarily suspended your account.
Reason: Billing failure.
You are required to complete an account update form so we can unlock your account.
To start the update process click here.
Once you have completed the process your account is available again.
After that you can access your account at any time.
The information provided will be treated in confidence and stored in our secure database.
If you fail to provide the required information your account will be automatically
deleted from the Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union database.
Copyright © Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union 2008, All Rights Reserved"Go to main navigation