Applying for Disaster Assistance from
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
If you have suffered damage as a result of hurricane Sandy, you may apply for Disaster Assistance from Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). There are two ways to apply:
• Online by logging on to: www.disasterassistance.gov
• By calling 1-800-621-3362 (TTY 1-800-462-7585 for the hearing/speech impaired)
When you apply, you will be asked to provide the following information:
• Current and pre-disaster address;
• Names of people living in the household
• Total household annual income;
• A description of your disaster damages
• A lot of pictures of the damages caused by the storm
• Your Social Security Number;
• Insurance information;
• Telephone number and a mailing address where you can be reached
If you want the disaster funds to be sent directly to your account, please provide FEMA with your credit union/bank account and routing number.
Additional information can be obtained from FEMA’s Help After a Disaster booklet available here.