Position Detail: Underwriter
|Location:||Fairfield, New Jersey|
- Comply with the registration requirements of the National Mortgage Licensing System, acquire and maintain NMLS Mortgage Loan Originator Registration
- Underwrite mortgage applications by analyzing, validating, and evaluating credit, income and assets of applicants as well as soundness of property as collateral for the lending decision. Ensure all appropriate supporting documentation is in the file.
- Review and approve mortgages within own authority limits, established productivity standards, and department turn times. Issue commitment letters.
- Recommend to management for review mortgages with exceptions and any loans to be declined. Accurately report the status of the loan in the system and consistently update its progress.
- Develop and maintain an effective on-going relationship with each Mortgage Processor, advising them on issues identified with loans and recommended resolutions.
- Learn all aspects of the PSFCU Lending Policies and Procedures for processing, underwriting and closing, including product and program descriptions. Stay abreast of all revisions made.
- Support other team members by answering questions regarding loans specific characteristics against PSFCU guidelines.
- Maintain knowledge about real estate closing procedures and help with closings when needed.
- Any other duties or responsibilities, as required or assigned.
- High school diploma or College Degree; knowledge of mortgage products and 2+ years experience in underwriting, legal and regulatory compliance, or equivalent.
- Familiarity with mortgage documents and the mortgage origination process
- Analytical, problem-solving and negotiating skills.
- Understanding of credit scoring.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong customer service and team orientation.
- Strong attention to details.
- Familiarity with personal computer and basic software skills.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER